Well I already got my first question about the Laundry Soap and I thought it was a good one. The question was How well does the soap work and does it leave your clothes dingy.Since using the soap I have not noticed any problems with the darks or towels etc. However Cr and I did see a bit of dinginess in our whites.The issue was easily solved though by filling your washer with hot water and adding the laundry soap and a few cups of powder cascade. Stop the wash and let your whites soak for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then run the load as normal. This should fix any dinginess and you don't have to do this during every load, just when you notice a bit of dinginess. Cr and I also like using fabric softner. I have a downy ball that we use. It gives the clothes a pleasing smell and obviously softens them. Softner is not too expensive and a big bottle of it lasts a long time. This is also what I use for the dryer sheets. If you find your darks getting faded or dingy you could always try a color bleach too.I always have a stain stick hanging around too. I have 3 kids and they get dirty, even with store brands a stain stick was required for some of their clothes. The costs involved with buying a few of the helpers to the soap etc. is minimal and they tend to last a long time so the cost of them is spread out. Well it has worked great for us and when I first started I had to buy a box of borax for 2.00 a box of Washing soda for 2.25 and since making our own soap I have bought 2 bars of Zote at 99cents each. So a total of 6.25 cents.I have not had to buy the borax or washing soda since and still have probably several months worth left. The only thing I have to buy more of is the zote because it only makes 3 batches of soap each. I have not bought store brand Laundry soap in 4 months. I used to buy laundry soap at 10-12 dollars a bottle ( Gain) and I usually had to buy 2 a month. So in my mind in the 4 months I have been doing my own I have saved $73.75. Wow. Definitely worth it to me. Hope this helps answer the question and encourages a few of you to try it.
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I love it. I think we're going to break down and finally try it. Thanks so much for the tips.
we started making our own laundry soap last year. I LOVE it! really really cost effective!
Another tip....I actually learned this from a sweet lady at the distribution center. You should not use fabric softener with your g's. They are actually 'dyed' white and the softener will cause them to look dingy faster. Who knew? See you in April!
Post a Comment