Friday, March 20, 2009

Food Storage Part 2 of 3

CANNING BUTTER!!!
So We learned in food storage class how to can butter and I could not belive how simple it is. I also thought what a great thing to have because sooo many recipes call for butter and if we end up without electricity we will still be fine.

Step 1 is to melt the butter in a saucepan over med. heat until melted and simmering.Let it simmer for a minute and then take your heated jars( you put them in a warm water bath until you are ready to use them.)and fill the jars with the melted butter. Place the lid on and tighten until finger tight. You then flip them over to seal.You will need 2 1/2 8 ounce jars for 1 pound of butter.
This is what it looks like after you just put it in the jars.



The most important step in all of this is you have to turn the jars ( not shake) back and forth a few times every 5 minutes to keep the butter from separating...Once the jars are cool enough and sealed you may put them in the fridge to continue cooling but you have to continue to turn them until solid...
This is the turning process...





You will know when you are done when the butter has solidified and turned a milky yellowish white color. Then you can place on the shelf like any other canned good. I was told the shelf life is around 2 years.

1 comment:

jamiegilson said...

Great to know. Who would've thought. Fun idea with your dehydrator. I bought a bread mixer and she threw in her dehydrator and I had no idea what to do with it. I just knew I was excited because I'm planning on learning from you. Keep it coming.=)