So here is the story. When I was younger and in Girl Scouts my mom took me to this fair where they had all kinds of informational booths and things set up. One of the booths at the fair was a booth about Guide dogs and how Families would sign up to raise a puppy. The family would take the puppy everywhere they went and socialize it to different situations and places. They would do the potty training and also the basic obedience. Otherwise the puppy is to be treated like any other family dog. Anyway ever since I saw that booth I always thought it would be so fun to be a puppy raiser family. So Last year I went on the internet to see if their was a guide dog training place here in Florida. There was a group called Southeastern Guide Dogs (their website is www.guidedogs.org ) down in Palmetto. So I filled out the online application and prayed that if it was meant to be that we would be chosen as a raiser family. They say that after filling out the application it takes 4 to 6 weeks to hear from someone and that the home visit will take place some time after that and then it usually can take up to 4 months to get a puppy. Well I knew my prayer was answered when the day after I put in the application I got a call and set up a home visit for 2 days later. Then 3 days after the home visit we got a call to pick up our puppy that weekend. Amazing huh! I knew we were meant to have this puppy. Her name is Sabrina and after my husband and kids she is the love of my life. We take her everywhere we go, grocery stores, library, parks, beach, camping, you name it we have been there. Her latest outing being the hospital to visit Oma. She is going to be an amazing Guide Dog. I am going to miss her so much when she goes back. They will be calling for her in probably the next 3 months. It is going to be so hard to see her go but I know what good she is going to do for some one who needs her. I am so proud to be a part of this cause. I know we are taught to do service and this is one of those service projects that is so rewarding for me that I sometimes forget I did this to help someone else. If you have time check out the website and maybe if you are interested find a Guide dog school near you and apply to be a puppy raiser family. It is a ton of work and there are days I say to myself what were you thinking?but mostly I see her and I smile!Her partner in life will be so lucky to have her. She will be the eyes and sometimes ears of someone who needs her.She will give them their freedom and their life back. What mom could be prouder of her girl than me?





2 comments:
What a great service and a great dog. The city is no place to have a big dog, at least not for me, but it's a great idea. Thanks for sharing.
I finally get to see pictures. She's adorable. I love it.
Post a Comment