Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fear

What is the definition of fear? What does fear keep us from doing or accomplishing. Can fear keep us from being happy. These are all questions rolling around in my head. So I thought I would put it out there and explain why and then maybe you can tell me what you think. I am afraid because we are seriously thinking about buying a house, but not just any house a cute, quaint, adorable but very very small 1960's home in downtown Saint Cloud. Our budget is so tight that even in this market(great for buyers) we are limited on the houses we can afford. This one of all the ones we looked at was the nicest I think and we could actually afford it.It has 2 bedrooms with a bonus room on the back which could be considered a 3rd bedroom but personally the layout of the house suggests that it would be more of a family room instead. This would leave only 2 bedrooms to house 5 occupants. The location is incredible. It is only a few blocks from a lakefront that has a gorgeous park with a splash pad and covered playground. This is also where Saint Cloud does all of its' city activities like the craft fairs, parades and even the fireworks celebration on the 4th of July. We would be right in the heart of all the fun and yet it is tucked back enough that when you are outside playing you don't feel like you are in downtown Saint Cloud. It is also only a few blocks from the Library and about a mile or so from the kids school. It also has a small but cute little community park a block away from it.The downside is really only the size, not because of the squarefootage but because of only having 2 bedrooms and 3 children, 2 of which are boys and 1 of which is not. That might cause an issue in a year or 2 when my now 8 year old ,but in 2 years, 10 year old son may have an issue sharing a room with his brother not to mention his sister. It also brings up the question at what age is it inappropriate to have brothers and sisters sharing a room? There is always the possibility of adding onto the home. this home has a HUGE fenced in back yard and we would be able to build on but at what cost and would we be able to afford it in a year or 2 when the boys and shaylyn need to be seperated. Cr brings up a point that noone said that in 2 years we can't try to sell it and move to a bigger house but what if I fall in love with where we are at that point and I don't want to move? Then what? We looked at several other houses today too but this house was in the best condition and most of you will understand me when I say it had that feeling. The feeling of the spirit..one of comfort and peace. Yet I can't stop THINKING about all the reasons this house would not be right for us and maybe we should keep looking, but then I can't stop FEELING this house is the right one for us.Cr seems to think so to the point that he says he knows what he wants to do and is just waiting for me to figure out if it is what I want.AHHHHH. My mom says I am crazy to think I can put 3 kids in 1 room and thatbuying would be a really bad idea but I kindly told her it wasn't her decision and if it felt right to us then we were going to do it anyway. ( sorry mom, love you anyway!) So I think that maybe it comes down to my fear and maybe even unreasonable expectations for a first home with our price range.I think my fear is keeping me from listening to the whisperings of my heart and that we could really be happy as a family there.I don't want to miss out on a really great opportunity because of my fear, as one of my good friends said " I took the leap and it was the best dsecision I ever made. It wasn't a perfect decision and maybe there is no perfect decision but I was Happy with the choice I made. Don't let fear keep you from following your gut feeling."So here is where I say...Take a look at the website for the house and tell me what you think.You are going to have to cut and paste because I could not figure out how to make it so you could click on it and go to the site. sorry.

http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?zp=34769&mxp=18&bd=4&typ=1&sid=6d70fef36dc04130a365a991924424b3&lid=1097715869&lsn=9&srcnt=20#Detail

3 comments:

Jones said...

well, I copied and pasted the link, but there was no info it would give me about the house, and no picture :(

ok, here's my main thought: I tend to agree that 3 kids, one of which being a girl in one room won't last very long! are you sure that extra room couldn't be converted into a room? at least for the time being?

this is a buyers market. we'd love to purchase, but our budget too is tight!

pray. make a decision and then pray to confirm it.

good luck!!

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

When I was praying whether or not to marry Cody, I just didn't feel like I was getting an answer. I felt in my heart it was right and had no major reason to say no but couldn't make the decision. Finally, I had the feeling to stop asking because I knew what I wanted to do and the Lord didn't have a problem either. So I say, you know your family and your mind. If you feel you know the answer you keep praying for and the Lord hasn't hit you over the head to say no or given you a bad feeling then do what you feel is right. He'll back you up!

jamiegilson said...

That house is adorable.

Looking at the house, are you sure it can't be turned into a 3rd bedroom? I think it all depends on the family. If your kids get along and have fun together, you may not need to change the bedroom situation around. Families used to live in one room houses all the time. Nowadays the houses get bigger and bigger so the families can spread out and then they never get to hang out together. You know your family best and by reading your other blog it looks like you've decided on the house. I'm sooo excited for you. Definitely a big step that scares me to death. I'm sure everything will work out. It always does.=)